• September 17, 2021

Pharmacies ‘outraged’ after NHS cuts coverage

PHARMACIES have been outraged after NHS hospitals and pharmacies were axed from their health plans.

Key points:Clinics are refusing to accept new drugs because they do not meet quality standardsThe move will mean patients will be left without the same services as the NHS for many monthsKey pointsClinically-based medical centres and hospitals will be forced to accept a “substandard” set of drugsThe move comes after a “shocking” increase in deaths from coronavirus The decision comes after the Government said it was “unlikely” patients would see the same level of care as those in the private sector.

Clinicians at one hospital in Sydney’s inner west say they are refusing the new drugs they have been offered for weeks.

“It’s shocking to us, the lack of transparency,” a nurse who declined to be named told the ABC.

“We’ve got people coming in every day and they are getting the same medicines, but they don’t know it.”

Nurse Fiona has been trying to get a new flu shot, but was told by the nurse at her local hospital that she had to go back to work.

“The nurse has told me they are not willing to take it because they are scared they will get caught,” she said.

“So I’m getting a new injection, but it’s the same shot, the same price, the medication, and they won’t accept it.”‘

It’s not fair’Dr Chris Pinto, a paediatrician at the Royal Perth Hospital, said patients were also being left out of the system.

“In the community, they don´t get the same service, they can’t access the same thing,” he said.

Clinic staff at the Sydney Civic Health Centre have also spoken out about the new restrictions.

“Clinists are being told not to take a drug because it doesn’t meet our quality standards, or because it is not clinically proven,” a spokesman said.

The NSW Health Minister said hospitals and clinics had been advised they would be forced “to offer a substandard and expensive product to patients”.

“In a time of acute public health concern and a severe pandemic, we have to be able to offer patients the same high quality care that is available to all Australians,” Health Minister Jill Hennessy said in a statement.

“This will help protect Australians from serious and potentially life-threatening illness.”

The move came after the Federal Government said the Government was “highly unlikely” patients in the public sector would see similar levels of care.

“There is a high probability that the vast majority of patients will receive a comparable level of medical treatment to that which is provided to NHS patients,” a spokeswoman said.

Ms Hennessie said she had not yet seen a case study that demonstrated this, but would look into it.

“I want to make sure that our system is up to the task, that we’re prepared for the impact this will have on our patients and on our health system,” she added.

The Federal Government says it has taken steps to reduce the number of people who die from coronavectitis, but the Government’s plans have been criticised by some.

Dr Pinto says patients will end up with the same quality of care and will also be forced out of public hospitals.

“People will be looking for other options and other options will be less likely to be available for patients,” he told the broadcaster.

“They’re not going to be as able to access the hospital, they’re not as able [to] get in and see the specialist.”

Topics:health,health-policy,health,government-and-politics,healthcare-facilities,healthpolicy,medical-research,nsw,australiaContact Lisa Hinchley