A 22-year-old man has died in hospital after suffering a fatal drug overdose at a Mayo clinic.
The man, who was treated in the early hours of Tuesday, was pronounced dead at the scene.
A police spokeswoman said he died of a “massive” dose of the opioid fentanyl, which is the most potent of three synthetic opiates found in the drug.
It was not clear if he was the first person to die of the drug in the city.
The Irish Examiner is not identifying the man because he is not a suspect.
The drug, which can cause death from respiratory failure, is illegal in Ireland.
How to find the perfect health care job
Why you may want to stop buying your medicine from the Big Three pharmacy chains